This is a fulltime remote job. Only apply if you are located in USA. Candidates outside USA will not be considered for this position.
- Write high-quality, well-tested server-side code that run smoothly in production and elevates the standards across the team
- Design system architectures for new event source use cases and batch processes
- Teach across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
- Lead complex projects, influence product design and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle, consistently delivering on time
- Collaborate with various Petal stakeholder teams (e.g., product, analytics, operations, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g. credit bureaus, credit processors, bank data aggregators)
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Experienced in designing, developing, testing, shipping, and scaling service-oriented/distributed applications or systems.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Collaborative, empathetic, listens with intent. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Passionate about systems design and robust software. Our backend platform change often as we work and experiment to bring credit to as many people as we can. We are passionate about software architecture and fault tolerant production systems.
- Detail-oriented; a strong focus on testing frameworks. Petal’s banking platform systems are complex and mission-critical. We rely on strong testing frameworks and a focus on the details of requirements to deliver features correctly.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Demonstrated expertise in Python
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as finance or healthcare