This is a full time remote job. Candidates from across the globe can apply for this job. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager for our web product engineering team. You’ll be supporting up to a maximum of 8 product engineers working on our Core shared services such as log in, payments and billing, and connecting social media channels.
At Buffer, we value Engineering Managers who’re able to craft a fulfilling work environment for each engineer and lead effective teams where folks do their best work. We believe that a human centered leadership approach is key to a high performing team, and that these two go hand-in hand.
What You’ll Do
- Lead engineering team(s) to deliver high quality software on predictable schedules, working to reduce cycle time and friction for your team.
- Partner closely with Product Managers to cut scope and continuously deliver software in a lean way.
Have regular one on ones with engineers, where you will:
- Set expectations, provide regular feedback & hold team members accountable.
- Develop a strong two-way feedback loop where you share wider organizational context and build a deep understanding of each engineer and how they work.
- Support engineers and help reach a resolution when challenges arise.
- Craft a fulfilling and engaging work experience through regular career growth and development conversations.
Manage the context in which team members operate, including:
- Representing the team in planning meetings.
- Translating engineering team vision and technical road map into action.
- Coordinating with other areas such as Marketing and Customer Advocacy as needed.
- Iterate and improve our engineering processes and technical culture.
- Participate in hiring and on-boarding of engineers.
You’ll also maintain a strong and up-to-date understanding of the challenges and opportunities your team is facing building and deploying software. Little of your time would be spent coding, but you will be expected to maintain context, ask informative questions, and assist the team in making strategic trade-offs.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- You have experience leading an engineering team, either as an Engineering Manager, or as a Senior Engineer/Technical lead.
- You have a technical background – Engineering Managers at Buffer have typically worked as Senior Engineers in their careers.
- You’re capable of leading globally distributed team members who might have different skill sets from your own.
- You have a deep understanding of how software is built and deployed.
- Our frontend is React.js with Redux, and we have a service-orientated architecture with microservices using Node.js.
- You have very strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- You’re comfortable with participatory management and take a servant leadership approach.
- You have a track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while maintaining high levels of autonomy on your team.
What You Can Expect in the Hiring Process:
Step 1: Getting to know your values (async only). You’ll receive an invite to your interview doc so that we can learn more the value you could bring to Buffer.
Step 2: Getting to know your role. You’ll chat with Katie, our VP of Engineering, so that she can learn more about your background, experience, and achievements.
Step 3: Get to know our technologies and your background. You’ll talk to Dan, our CTO, about how you’ve helped teams think through their technical decision making, made trade-offs, and prioritized technical requirements. This will not involve coding or white-boarding!
Step 4: Brief exercise (async only). In this step of the process, you’ll showcase your managerial skills and leadership mindset.
Step 5: Getting to know your team. You’ll chat with potential teammates about what it’s like to be a member of the team.
- Salary Offer or Budget $10,000 ~ $25,000