This a remote job and candidates from USA can only apply for this job. In this role, about 50% of your time will be spent in our frontend—a tri-platform React Native app written in TypeScript—and 50% on our Flask/Python applications. This role reports to our Director of Engineering.
- Write high-quality, well-tested, functional, observable code that runs smoothly in production.
- Up-level our React Native app, delivering reliable, delightful features that our customers need.
- Elevate the coding standards and hygiene across the team.
- Lead complex projects, influence product design and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle, consistently delivering on time.
- Work with various Petal stakeholder teams (e.g., product, analytics, operations, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g. credit bureaus, credit processors, bank data aggregators)
- Teach across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
Characteristics of a successful candidate:
- Track record of shipping high-quality, complex React apps to end-users. A deep understanding of React/React Native/Redux libraries and ecosystem (sagas, selectors, reducers) is essential for this role. We use Expo to build our apps, which are written in Typescript, so a familiarity with that toolchain is very helpful. You yearn for cleaner code using functional components and React hooks.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Product-oriented. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Adaptable. As stated above, this role is mostly frontend-focused; that said, successful engineers here roll up their sleeves to dive into their dependencies when planning projects, debugging issues, and implementing features end-to-end. So, becoming productive in our API layer (RESTful Flask apps with Postgres databases) is important.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Demonstrated expertise in Python
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as finance or healthcare